Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kathlyn's design and my quilt from it!

This is a quilt my daughter-in-law, Kathlyn designed.  She is very mathematical, and she pieced all of these squares and rectangles, which, believe me, is a real nightmare!  I loved the idea of the quilt, and decided to do it, but I wanted to put my own spin on the design.  Of course, I had to downsize the quilt; I don't do anything that large!  See my quilt below, and notice how it looks so completely different.

I did my squares and rectangles in graduating shades going from dard red to orange to yellow on a black background.  I did try piecing them, but the black background made that look awful, so I hand appliqued the pieces.  It sat on my design wall for awhile before I could figure out how to finish it.  Then I decided to hand embroider circles with rayon thread in cool colors, to offset the heat of the warm fabrics.  I love the small strip of gradated fabric on the outside of the quilt, I almost didn't want to cut it up, but I'm glad I did.  The resulting quilt is so different from Kathlyn's that it is hard to realize they are basically the same pattern, don't you think? 

Thursday, August 25, 2011

White on White Challenge

Also as part of the Dirty Dozen, we have a challenge each year which must be completed if you wish to take part in the yearly exhibit.  This year the challenge is White on White.  I started with white Dupioni silk onto which I used irridescent white Paintstick to add texture.  The two end pieces and the middle strip are crinkle cloth.
In the detail of the piece you can see that I added tiny beads, some couched metallic cord and free motion machine quilting.  The resultant piece has more of a beige look rather than pure white, so I have titled it "Not Quite White", but I really like the look of the piece.  I enjoyed doing this challenge and may attempt another piece in all white. 

Alien Tech

Our Dirty Dozen show is this October at a local quilt shop, and in preparation for it I have created a stand-alone book as part of a group challenge to make a book of some sort with fiber.  I love working with metal, and wanted my focus to be using the metal in different ways, so I created this book.   I used different metal techniques, including weaving strips of metal, crimping the metal, and using metallic mesh.

On this panel I painted a washer with bronze Lumiere, and added a metallic button in the center.  I used French knots throughout the piece in black and white crewel thread.  The background fabric is a piece of fabric made using wash-away stabilizer and bits of different fabrics.

Here I used some paper beads on the sides and a bone bead in the middle
On the panel above I weaved strips of metal and added small beads at the junctures.  The lightweight metal is easy to stitch through on the machine, using a sharp needle.  
On this last panel I have used a bone bead and some of the metallic mesh.  The rods holding the book up are just skewers cut to size, painted with Lumiere paint and topped with wide-hole beads painted black.  When I finished the piece, it reminded me of circuit boards, and my husband said it looked more like Alien Tech, so the name of the piece was born!     

I really had fun embellishing my three women, and I used items gifted to me by Bev O'Connell as the hair and turban.  The dress on the left was stamped with a stamp pad, the one in the middle was using Lumiere paint with different size bottle caps and the one on the right was Lumiere paint on a stencil.  I then traced around the stencilled area with a permanent marker.  That is a process I think I will use in the future, as I really like the effect. 


I belong to a group called the Dirty Dozen Fiber Artists, and we have a group therapy project each year at our annual retreat.  This year, (my first) we had to stamp fabrics and then use them in a composition.  I decided to create a scene of three women dressed in the stamped fabrics, and joyfully dancing. 

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

This is one of the pieces that turned out in the beige range; I really can't wait to start making something with all the designs! 
I use a fairly thick cord to wrap the fabric around the PVC pipe, and I keep my pieces to around 12 x 18 inches.  I also use full strength bleach, and make sure I have lots of ventilation.  Plus, I usually use a mask as well; the smell can be overpowering. 

Discharge Shibori

I spent some time this past weekend doing some discharge shibori on several different black fabrics.  The colors don't show up as well as I'd like, but one or two of the fabrics discharged almost pink, and some more in the beige/rust range.  All are very nice, though.