Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kathlyn's design and my quilt from it!

This is a quilt my daughter-in-law, Kathlyn designed.  She is very mathematical, and she pieced all of these squares and rectangles, which, believe me, is a real nightmare!  I loved the idea of the quilt, and decided to do it, but I wanted to put my own spin on the design.  Of course, I had to downsize the quilt; I don't do anything that large!  See my quilt below, and notice how it looks so completely different.

I did my squares and rectangles in graduating shades going from dard red to orange to yellow on a black background.  I did try piecing them, but the black background made that look awful, so I hand appliqued the pieces.  It sat on my design wall for awhile before I could figure out how to finish it.  Then I decided to hand embroider circles with rayon thread in cool colors, to offset the heat of the warm fabrics.  I love the small strip of gradated fabric on the outside of the quilt, I almost didn't want to cut it up, but I'm glad I did.  The resulting quilt is so different from Kathlyn's that it is hard to realize they are basically the same pattern, don't you think? 

3 comments:

  1. Andrea, love your use of color and hand stitching. It is hard to believe that it is the same pattern as Kathlyn's and how different they look. It pays sometimes to let a design sit and percolate for awhile. I often have that happen and then suddenly something clicks and I can get it moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is an awesome piece. Very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. My quilt looks better in that small scale picture than in real life. I have always loved yours though. :) <3

    You did a much better job picking fabrics on this one than I did. That background fabric I picked was a mistake.

    ReplyDelete