Sunday, March 27, 2016

A different direction....Week 13

I decided to go in a different direction this week for my weekly piece.  I love working with my rusted fabrics, and this piece contains some rusted linen tablecloth fabric.  Pairing it with black fabric is almost a must for me, so here is Week 13's piece.

The leaves and stems are fused onto the rusted fabric; stitching will be added later when I add the batting. 

Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 12

We are into the 12th week of the year and I have finished my 12th piece.  This one is a fabric weaving using a multi-colored piece of commercial fabric, cut into wavy lines and woven in a traditional manner. 

I haven't added any stitching yet, but the piece is fused to the stabilizer so it doesn't move around.  Stitching will be added if and when I use the piece and have batting beneath it. 

Thursday, March 17, 2016

An Experiment from a Photo

I wanted to create a fabric piece for the SAQA online auction from a photo I had taken of a stream in North Carolina.  This is the photo I decided to use for the piece:

I really didn't know how I was going to simulate the rushing water, so the following process was a total experiment.  First I laid out the rocks on the "water" fabric, then I took small snippets of cheesecloth and felted them into my background fabric using my felting machine.  When I had them about where I thought I'd need them I took them to the sewing machine and stitched them down.  I next added some unheated Angelina to the top and stitched it to the cheesecloth to give the water a bit of sparkle.  Then I added the foliage in the background and finally I satin stitched branches and placed yellow leaves in the foreground.  Lastly, on several of the rocks I added fiber paste (first time I ever used it) onto which I painted some green and yellow acrylic paint to simulate the moss growing on the rocks.  I had to give the piece a "haircut" from all the stray strings of cheesecloth and Angelina that were sticking out all over.  But I think my experiment worked.  Here is the finished piece, 12x12, for the auction.

And here's a close-up shot:

The online auction starts in September and the quilts can be viewed as they are sent in at 

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Week 11

It is Tuesday of Week 11 and I have my piece done, WOO HOO.

This piece was done using a Gelli-Plate and both stencils and rubbing plates.  I haven't done any stitching in it yet, but will do so when I know how it is going to be used, if ever!  I have no definite plans on how these pieces will be used; I just want to get in the studio and play each week. 

Monday, March 7, 2016

Week 10

I just finished my week 10 piece.  It is done by painting freezer paper circles with black paint (I had used them as a resist during silk screening and didn't want to waste the paint!) as well as some smaller circles painted on the end of a toilet paper roll.  The tiny circles are an eraser dipped in black paint.  I haven't done any stitching on this one yet, and it is attached to 910 stabilizer, as are all the rest of the weekly pieces.

I am keeping up with the weeks so far; I hope that can continue!!

Friday, March 4, 2016

Week 9

Here is week 9 of my weekly pieces.  I am up to date so far, Woo Hoo! 
I hand couched down some silver cording to delineate the fabrics, which added some dimension and bling.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Week #8

This is week 8 of my weekly 6 inch pieces, and it is a combination of fabrics I particularly like.  I added a strip of folded metallic mesh to the middle of the piece to give it a bit of zing.
The strips of fabric are all torn and then sewed down horizontally.