Thursday, March 17, 2016

An Experiment from a Photo

I wanted to create a fabric piece for the SAQA online auction from a photo I had taken of a stream in North Carolina.  This is the photo I decided to use for the piece:


I really didn't know how I was going to simulate the rushing water, so the following process was a total experiment.  First I laid out the rocks on the "water" fabric, then I took small snippets of cheesecloth and felted them into my background fabric using my felting machine.  When I had them about where I thought I'd need them I took them to the sewing machine and stitched them down.  I next added some unheated Angelina to the top and stitched it to the cheesecloth to give the water a bit of sparkle.  Then I added the foliage in the background and finally I satin stitched branches and placed yellow leaves in the foreground.  Lastly, on several of the rocks I added fiber paste (first time I ever used it) onto which I painted some green and yellow acrylic paint to simulate the moss growing on the rocks.  I had to give the piece a "haircut" from all the stray strings of cheesecloth and Angelina that were sticking out all over.  But I think my experiment worked.  Here is the finished piece, 12x12, for the auction.



And here's a close-up shot:


The online auction starts in September and the quilts can be viewed as they are sent in at www.saqa.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment