Saturday, November 5, 2016

Life Cycle

I have just completed a new work, titled "Live Cycle".  It is the result of a local fiber group challenge, the theme of which was "Time Flies" where we had to use three different techniques in the finished piece, and it had to measure larger than 16 inches and smaller than 36, with any combination within those parameters.  My piece measures 32 x 36.  It consists of three panels, each of which can stand on its own, but together they create the life cycle of a sunflower. 
I used painted and heated Tyvek, with beading,  as the centers of the sunflowers in the first panel.  The second panel has French Knots (for hand embroidery) in the center of the sunflower, with beads on top of the knots, and in the centers of the 3-D white flowers at the bottom I have used Angelina with stitching on top.  The last panel has silver foiling in the sky using Bonash powder, which gives the impression of stars in the sky.  I used raw-edge applique throughout the entire piece and free motion stitching.  There are several 3-D effects in each panel and Broderie Perse (sp?).  Panels one and three measure 11.5 x 32 and the middle panel measures 13 x 32 inches respectively. 

I wanted to make sure the different techniques used did not overpower the piece as a whole, and separating the work into three panels, with only one or two techniques used in each panel helped me overcome that problem. 

I was unsure exactly how to execute some of the techniques within the piece, so I made a sample piece, 12 x 12 to kind of work out the logistics with in the piece.  I donated this work to the Spiva Art Gallery (in Joplin, MO) auction to raise money for the gallery.  It sold, WOOHOO. 
While doing this piece I discovered that it was very difficult to bead the painted Tyvek.  I had attached the front fabric to a heavy stabilizer and trying to push a needle through the stabilizer as well as the Tyvek took a toll on my fingers!  So in the Life Cycle piece I omitted the stabilizer and beaded the Tyvek before I added it to the fabric.  Much easier!  Sometimes making a practice piece helps work out potential problems, and this was one of those times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment